Home Forums Member Services Qualify

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #74620

    Hello, I have a question.

    I am currently on the mortgage of my ex-husband. I do not pay anything on the mortgage and have not lived in the house for 14 years. We kept the house as my ex-husband is taking care of our disabled son. Will I be able to obtain a NACA mortgage?

    Thank you,


    Hello CeeBee1969,

    Unfortunately, you are not eligible to use the NACA program since your name is still on the mortgage. That makes you still legally liable for the mortgage payments, regardless of how long it has been since you live there or anything stated in your divorce decree.

    The courts do not have the ability to reassign legal responsibility for a debt. They can only specify which partner must make the payments in a divorce proceeding. The other partner is not released from responsibility for the loan, which in turn means an ownership interest in the property still exists.

    The only way you will be able to use the NACA program is for your ex-husband to refinance the current mortgage into his name only.

    Tim Trumble
    Online Operations, NACA

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.