Today, April 15th, is if course the traditional income tax filing deadline in the United States, which also makes it the day copies of your tax return for the year must be submitted to your NACA file.  We have received several questions regarding whether the extension to July 15th granted because of the pandemic also means the deadline to submit the return to NACA has also been extended.

Technically, yes, the NACA deadline has also been extended. Waiting to file and submit though is absolutely NOT a good idea.

Here’s the 4-1-1. Nobody ever deliberately waits to get their refund, so that means anyone who is taking advantage of the new deadline to delay filing is almost certainly someone who knows they are going to have to pay the IRS this year, just like the people who file a Form 4868 (Automatic Extension of Time to File).

Therefore, the same thing applies as if you filed a 4868. If you owe the IRS money, your file will be suspended until such time as the tax debt is paid. Waiting to file in hopes of “slipping it past us” is a disastrous idea for several reasons.  Realistically, there is no excuse for everyone to not get filed right away if you haven’t done so already. If you owe the IRS, get your return filed and get them paid in full or set up payment arrangements (understanding that payment arrangements will cause you a 12-month setback) so the sooner you get started the better.

Don’t forget that your W2’s and 1099’s had to be in your file by January 31st, so finishing up and filing should be a top priority if you haven’t done so already.

In short, the July 15th extension is not a gift where your NACA file is concerned. Get your return filed and submitted so we can continue working with you toward your goal of becoming a homeowner.

By TTrumble

Online Operations Team and Forum Administrator for NACA. Based in the NACA National Counseling Center in Charlotte, NC.

27 thoughts on “TAX FILING DEADLINE APRIL 15 OR JULY 15 FOR NACA MEMBERS?”
  1. Will the process continue once I send my taxes or does it have to be processed by the IRS? They are not accepting my e-file so I have to mail my taxes in. My understanding is that it is taking along time for paper returns to be processed.

1. Hello Kim,

Your process will continue once you have filed and submitted your return to your file, but you will not be able to be qualified until the return is processed and the transcript is available from the IRS.

By the way, it’s taking less time for paper returns to be processed than you think. We choose to still file paper returns at my house and both of ours were done and refunds issued in less than three weeks.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

2. I am in the same boat. I mailed in my 2018 taxes late. Not because I owed money. They actually owed me a small refund but other factors kept me from being able to send in timely. they have my 2019 transcripts as I was able to e file those . So since the IRS is not processing paper returns I am worried I am stuck .

1. Hello Kendall Johnson,

I’m not sure where you got the idea that the IRS is not processing tax returns filed by mail on a traditional 1040 form. They are indeed processing paper 1040’s. You may be confusing it with processing paper 4506-T forms to obtain tax transcripts. Electronic 4506-T requests are being processed as normal. The only issue there is the demand for transcripts bogs down the site at times. There is in reality no reason for anyone to have delayed filing at this point, and the transcript will be available electronically a few weeks after the return is processed.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

3. @Ttrumble
    If I were to file taxes and owed money, but I am able to pay the money owed in full without setting up a Payment plan, would that still delay being qualified for 12 months or will paying in full allow me to continue to move forward with qualification assuming everything else is order. Please advise. Thank you.

4. I have had a payment plan with the IRS for over two years and am still paying, does this mean I will not qualify as a candidate?

1. Hello Pamela,

If you have made all payments on time, it is possible to include it as part of your debts. Please make sure to provide a copy of the agreement and proof that you have made timely payments. Your NACA counselor will advise you on what, if anything else, is required.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

5. For my 2019 taxes. I have a 1099 and a W2 as income. I was a 1099 for a short period of time, until I converted over with the same company to a full time W2 employee. Is there anything additional I would need to provide because of this? Would I need an additional letter of explanation with my filed taxes?

I’m trying to prepare for my next appointment on 7/6 and my 2019 taxes was the only item on my action plan.

My status Is homeownership ready, so I’d like to go in prepared and ready. Any help her would be greatly appreciated.

1. Thank you @Tim! Would I also need to pull up bank statements with proof of payments for this short time?

6. Just curious about paper returns because I over night my 1040X amended tax return on March 3 and still haven’t been processed or in the systems as received

1. Hello Aisha,

The IRS has been running with a skeleton crew since the pandemic struck, and they are literally months behind on processing paper returns. I know of someone who mailed in a paper 2019 tax return in mid March and the IRS hasn’t event acknowledged receiving it yet.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

7. With the known delays in paper tax processing by the IRS will there be any adjustments or changes provided to members who are still waiting for mailed returns and payments to process and post?

1. Hello Rhonda,

You will need to still provide your 2019 W2’s/1099’s and a copy of the paper return you filed. Otherwise, make sure you have your 2017 and 2018 returns in the file so we have have your two most recent years of processed returns, W2’s and transcripts in the file while we wait for the 2019 to be processed.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA

1. Thanks Tim,

I have all that information uploaded and available in my web file. I’m at the credit access stage in home buying and they are requesting proof of payment on the 2019 taxes. Because of IRS delays my 2019 are still not processed and My MC is saying I may lose out on getting approved for credit access because my 2019 taxes have not processed to show my payment. 2017 and 2018 are processed and in my web file.

Also my home is new construction est to complete Jan 2021. I’m hoping the irs will have it processed before then.

1. Hello Rhonda Jenkins,

Tell your counselor that’s an issue beyond your control which should be considered a mitigating factor. Have him or her speak to their supervisor, regional director or our in-house help line for clarification.

Tim Trumble
          Online Operations, NACA

2. Will UW allow us to proceed forward with credit access if the IRS has still not processed 2019 taxes or payments? W2s and copy of 2019 tax return is on file. Also 2017 and 18 tax documents are also in web file.

1. Hello Rhonda Jenkins,

If any taxes were due this year, you will need to send in proof of payment in addition to the return and W2’s already in your file. Make sure also that you have filled out a 4506-T for your 2020 return so we can obtain the transcript as soon as it becomes available.

With those in place, you should be able to proceed.

Tim Trumble
          Online Operations, NACA

8. Hello,

We seem to be i the same boat as many. We are currently in credit access but don’t know if we will be approved by BOA. Our amended tax return has not been processed by the IRS and they can’t give us a timing on it. We have provided our original return and amended return NACA and our CPA is willing to write out a certified letter in our behalf. Are these scenarios still being qualified by BOA?

1. Hello Debra Cotton,

BOA is certainly aware of the delays that have occurred at the IRS and are making necessary allowances. it looks like your file is continuing forward and your underwriter should be in touch soon.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA

9. I owe 2015 taxes. I’m currently not on a repayment plan. I was due a refund on 2018. I owed the year but I paid it in full. Will I be able to proceed with NACA?

1. Hello Keisha,

Are you saying the 2015 tax debt has been paid in full? If so, you should be okay. All tax debt must either be paid in full or be on a repayment plan with a twelve month history of on time payments.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA

1. Hello Aiden115,

No, a tax refund may not be used as payment shock. Becuase it is a demonstration of your ability to make yoru desired mortgage payment each and every month, your Payment Shock Savings must come from your regular income instead of one-time sources. You may use the refund toward your Minimum Required Funds, bot not Payment Shock.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA

10. Hello I have an appointment on February 2021 and I was wondering if I have to wait to file my taxes for 2020 to upload it. Or i will be fine with my 2018 and 2019 taxes.

1. Hello Jasmin,

Officially, your 2020 tax return does not have to be in your file before April 15th. However, the sooner you file your return and submit it to your file, the better since your file will have to be reworked after you submit the return anyway. Best to get it done and over with so your file can continue to move forward without interruption.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.