TAX FILING DEADLINE APRIL 15 OR JULY 15 FOR NACA MEMBERS?

Today, April 15th, is if course the traditional income tax filing deadline in the United States, which also makes it the day copies of your tax return for the year must be submitted to your NACA file.  We have received several questions regarding whether the extension to July 15th granted because of the pandemic also means the deadline to submit the return to NACA has also been extended.

Technically, yes, the NACA deadline has also been extended. Waiting to file and submit though is absolutely NOT a good idea.

Here’s the 4-1-1. Nobody ever deliberately waits to get their refund, so that means anyone who is taking advantage of the new deadline to delay filing is almost certainly someone who knows they are going to have to pay the IRS this year, just like the people who file a Form 4868 (Automatic Extension of Time to File).

Therefore, the same thing applies as if you filed a 4868. If you owe the IRS money, your file will be suspended until such time as the tax debt is paid. Waiting to file in hopes of “slipping it past us” is a disastrous idea for several reasons.  Realistically, there is no excuse for everyone to not get filed right away if you haven’t done so already. If you owe the IRS, get your return filed and get them paid in full or set up payment arrangements (understanding that payment arrangements will cause you a 12-month setback) so the sooner you get started the better.

Don’t forget that your W2’s and 1099’s had to be in your file by January 31st, so finishing up and filing should be a top priority if you haven’t done so already.

In short, the July 15th extension is not a gift where your NACA file is concerned. Get your return filed and submitted so we can continue working with you toward your goal of becoming a homeowner.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

8 Comments

1. Kim
    Posted April 24, 2020 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Will the process continue once I send my taxes or does it have to be processed by the IRS? They are not accepting my e-file so I have to mail my taxes in. My understanding is that it is taking along time for paper returns to be processed.

• Posted April 24, 2020 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Hello Kim,

Your process will continue once you have filed and submitted your return to your file, but you will not be able to be qualified until the return is processed and the transcript is available from the IRS.

By the way, it’s taking less time for paper returns to be processed than you think. We choose to still file paper returns at my house and both of ours were done and refunds issued in less than three weeks.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

2. Kendell Johnson
    Posted April 28, 2020 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

I am in the same boat. I mailed in my 2018 taxes late. Not because I owed money. They actually owed me a small refund but other factors kept me from being able to send in timely. they have my 2019 transcripts as I was able to e file those . So since the IRS is not processing paper returns I am worried I am stuck .

• Posted April 29, 2020 at 9:15 am | Permalink

Hello Kendall Johnson,

I’m not sure where you got the idea that the IRS is not processing tax returns filed by mail on a traditional 1040 form. They are indeed processing paper 1040’s. You may be confusing it with processing paper 4506-T forms to obtain tax transcripts. Electronic 4506-T requests are being processed as normal. The only issue there is the demand for transcripts bogs down the site at times. There is in reality no reason for anyone to have delayed filing at this point, and the transcript will be available electronically a few weeks after the return is processed.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

3. LBCnative
    Posted May 1, 2020 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

@Ttrumble
    If I were to file taxes and owed money, but I am able to pay the money owed in full without setting up a Payment plan, would that still delay being qualified for 12 months or will paying in full allow me to continue to move forward with qualification assuming everything else is order. Please advise. Thank you.

• Posted May 6, 2020 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Hello LBCnative,

If the taxes are paid in full, you can continue through the NACA program without any delay in your qualification.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

4. Pamela
    Posted May 26, 2020 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

I have had a payment plan with the IRS for over two years and am still paying, does this mean I will not qualify as a candidate?

• Posted May 26, 2020 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Hello Pamela,

If you have made all payments on time, it is possible to include it as part of your debts. Please make sure to provide a copy of the agreement and proof that you have made timely payments. Your NACA counselor will advise you on what, if anything else, is required.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Follow us on Facebook RSS Feed Follow us on Twitter