NACA COVID-19 Operational Update 3/31/20

Here’s updated information on how the COVID-19 pandemic has affected NACA operations and what actions we are taking to continue helping you become a homeowner with NACA’s Best in America Mortgage.

First and most importantly, MOST of our offices across the country are still open. While some of our offices have had to close as a result of shelter-in place orders or similar directives, the majority of our offices, including the NACA National Counseling Center in Charlotte, NC are open and conducting counseling sessions as scheduled.

Presently, all NACA offices are open with the exception of the following:

California: Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento, Upland

Connecticut: Hartford

Pennsylvania: Philadelphia

Massachusetts: Lawrence

New York: Buffalo, Queens, Rochester

However, please be aware that it is NOT ENTIRELY business as usual. To comply with social distancing, there have been a few changes.

All counseling sessions are currently being conducted remotely by video conferencing.  This allows you to speak directly with your NACA counselor and conduct a full counseling session while eliminating the need to make an unnecessary trip away from the safety of your home or workplace. This also reduces traffic through our offices and greatly reduces risk of exposure for everyone concerned. Please contact NACA Member Services at 425-602-6222 if you have any questions about how the video conferencing is done.

Likewise, submitting documents to your NACA file is presently being done entirely online. Documents can be scanned and submitted securely though your NACA web-file on any internet connected computer with a scanner, and even from some smartphones. Documents may also be submitted by email or fax from members. Again, please contact NACA Member Services for details.

NACA members who do not have access to a computer scanner may still come in to the local NACA office and scan their documents into their file using the member kiosk located in each office. However, calling to provide advance notice to the office and a specific time or arrival is required to be allowed entry into the office. After each use, kiosks will be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized in preparation for future use.

We are even working on the means for our members to sign their bank application electronically to once again implement social distancing and reduce the risk of contamination.

Likewise, NACA’s workshops have also changed from local in-person workshops to virtual ones.  NACA staff members are now conducting webinars in place of local workshops for both the initial Qualification Workshop and the Purchase Workshop that our members attend after becoming NACA Qualified.

Qualification Workshops for people beginning the NACA program are conducted in English three times each Saturday, at 9:00 am, 1:00 pm and 5:00 pm Eastern time, and in Spanish at 1:00 pm Eastern time every Saturday. NACA Purchase Workshops are conducted every Thursday at 6:00 pm and 9:00 pm Eastern time.

Because of the huge demand, we are also conducting Qualification Workshops on Facebook Live twice per month on Saturday mornings at 9:00 am Eastern Time on the NACA Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/nacaofficialpage .

To register for the workshops, please go to the NACA website at www.naca.com and click on the red “Schedule” button in the upper right corner of the page.

NACA’s weekly informational webinars are also being held as normally scheduled. Webinars ranging from our NACA Program Overview to Property Qualification to our Mobilize Georgia community advocacy campaign are all available by again clicking on the “Schedule” button on the home page of the NACA website.

NACA’s Member Services team, HAND department and Real Estate Department are all open during their normal business hours as well to help you reach your American Dream of homeownership.

As you can see, we are creating new and groundbreaking ways to keep everyone safe during this difficult time. NACA is still working every day to provide you with our Best in America Mortgage, with no down payment, no closing costs, a below market fixed rate, and no need for perfect credit. The NACA staff is continuing the fight for economic justice and affordable homeownership as we all work together as a nation to defeat the COVID-19 threat.

For more information on how the NACA team is continuing to make affordable homeownership a reality, go to www.naca.com, visit any of our social media pages, or contact NACA Member Services.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

33 Comments

1. Shar
    Posted March 31, 2020 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Chicago is back open as well? I know it was previously closed! Just wanted to confirm! Thanks for the update! Much appreciated

• Posted March 31, 2020 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Chicago is indeed open under the guidelines outlined in the blog post.

• Philipia
        Posted March 31, 2020 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Is NJ also closed? Haven’t heard back from my MC in a week and a half member services says I will remain out of contact until offices reopen.

• Posted April 2, 2020 at 9:44 am | Permalink

Hello Philipia,

I suspect you misunderstood something the Member Services rep said. Only ten of the fifty NACA offices nationwide are closed, and the Newark office is in fact open. However, ALL of our offices are closed to our members as we have converted all functions to remote, electronic and virtual methods until the COVID-19 pandemic subsides. Our staff members are working in their offices, conducting counseling appointments remotely by videoconference in keeping with social distancing guidelines.

If you have not heard from your counselor in a week and a half, it is quite probably because there is nothing new to report. Reach out to your counselor by email (not phone) and ask for an update. Be a “polite pest” about it (be relentless but be nice) and remember that patience and persistence have always been the two most powerful tools for success in the NACA program.

Tim Trumble
          Online Operations, NACA
          ttrumble@naca.com

• TStevenson
        Posted April 8, 2020 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Hi Tim, My office (Los Angeles) is closed and I have not been able to get a hold of my counselor via email or phone. HAND just gave me the ACA, but BofA has sent some time sensitive correspondence that I need to review with my MC. I am afraid that if I do not get in contact with her my loan will fall through. I have called every number I can find and spoke to everyone who would listen before I writing you. Do you have any suggestions?

• Posted April 16, 2020 at 10:55 am | Permalink

Hello TStevenson,

I have been a bit surprised about how many people in California, especially in the Los Angeles area, have contacted me asking why things aren’t moving forward for them. Governor Newsom’s orders have effectively shut down the State of California completely. As such, all tentative dates, deadlines, etc are meaningless.

The departments you make reference to, HAND and BOA specifically, are located elsewhere and are functioning as close to normal as possible under our current unusual circumstances. They are handling files from all over the country, so they will continue to process them as far as possible. But with California under one of the most restrictive lockdowns in the country there is a point at which everything will come to a halt there until the state reopens.

The only suggestion I can make is to have patience. At the moment, deadlines don’t exist in California and you are simply going to have to pick up where you left off when the state reopens.

Tim Trumble
          Online Operations, NACA
          ttrumble@naca.com

2. Luma
    Posted April 3, 2020 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

How about closing? It will online of face to face?

• Posted April 3, 2020 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Hello Luma,

For legal purposes, closings must still be done in-person. However, our offices have made sure to create procedures that allow the closing to happen while still fabiding by social distancing guidelines.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

3. Jane Williams Allen
    Posted April 3, 2020 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Do my charge off still apply..it will be 2 years in April…do I still have to wait or can I be assisted at this time…I really need to purchase..living accommodations is becoming unbearable

• Posted April 7, 2020 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Hello Jane Williams Allen,

Please start the program as soon as possible. The two year restriction is based on how soon you can qualify, not how soon you may start the program. You could have started the program three months ago for example and gotten the information you need to make sure you could be qualified as soon as you hit the two year mark.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

4. TattedQueen87
    Posted April 5, 2020 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

For us NACA members that have been laid-off as a result COVID-19, I would like to know how this is going to affect our qualification process? My understanding is that we cannot be qualified if we’ve had any gaps in our employment of 30+ days within the past two years. Is this going to hold true for those us of laid off through no fault of our own as a result of this pandemic? I would hope that exceptions will be made.

• Posted April 6, 2020 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Hello TattedQueen87

As of now, there are no exceptions in place for the 30-day rule. We fully understand that COVID-19 related layoffs are by no means the fault of the individual member, there are in fact thousands of temporary employment opportunities in areas such as grocery, delivery, warehousing, order fulfillment, supply chain and others. we also have to remember that this is all completely unknown territory for every single one of us, so until all this plays out, nobody can be certain of what kind of exceptions may be granted.

My advice is to hope for the best and plan for the worst. As I have noted elsewhere, the ability to make your monthly rent payment is the single strongest factor in demonstrating your ability to make a mortgage payment each month. In general, KEEP YOUR RENT AND OTHER BILLS PAID ON TIME. Beyond that, I can’t tell you what is going to happen, if anything, regarding exceptions to any rules of the NACA program during the crisis. Plan as if there will be no changes whatsoever, which may well be the case.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

5. Sam
    Posted April 7, 2020 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Since there are no in person workshops what are some ways members to volunteer to meet the qualifications requirements.

• Posted April 8, 2020 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Hello Sam,

At present, the two best ways to obtain volunteer credit are by getting people to register to vote and by brining new members into the NACA program.

Registering to vote is extremely important for everyone as this November’s election will determine the course our country takes for well beyond the next four years. When you get ten people to register to vote, simply provide proof of their registration to your counselor and you will receive volunteer credit.

When you bring someone new into the NACA program, they will have to take the online webinar that is currently replacing our in person Homebuyer Workshops. At the end of the webinar they will be given a secure means to register with us, create their NACA webfile and receive their NACA member ID number. Provide your counselor with their name and NACA ID number and you will receive credit.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

6. Bebe Malone
    Posted April 8, 2020 at 1:09 am | Permalink

So I have a question if I have 2 collections. One is 5 year 8 months and one is 5 years 11 months will these need to be paid off or will a letter of explanation be enough? I went to the pre qualification event and have action items I’m working on to get prequalified. Everything on the action items will be completed prior to my next counseling session. Just wasn’t sure if I should pay off these collection or not prior to my next session to be prequalified.

• Posted April 8, 2020 at 9:33 am | Permalink

Hello Bebe Malone,

If the collections are not actively being pursued and are more than two years old, you will not have to pay them. You will need to write a Letter of Explanation for each one, describing what the collection is for, why it went unpaid and what you have done to make sure this does not happen again.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

7. NHayes
    Posted April 8, 2020 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Will the office be open on Good Friday, April 10th?

• Posted April 10, 2020 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Hello NHayes,

Yes, the offices that have not been closed by the COIVD-19 pandemic will be open today, but under the same policies and procedure recently adopted to enforce social distancing guidelines. Please refer to the article above for details.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

8. momsmuffin
    Posted April 10, 2020 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

My file was sent to underwriting and came back with conditions. I immediately sent those in, the same day. I’ve been calling, emailing, leaving messages and when I get a email response, none of my questions are being answered. I’ve contacted my counselor, Branch and Regional Manager, as well as member services. So basically my file is just sitting there. Member Services representative told me it WON’T be looked at until April 20th because that’s when my appointment is. I wanted to know why my file cannot be worked on, like can’t it be passed on to another counselor to resubmit it to underwriting? This whole Homebuying process is not as easy as it is made to sound at the workshop dealing with the lack of communication from this office. It has taken away some of the excitement that I had about buying a house.

• Posted April 16, 2020 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Hello momsmuffin,

I understand your eagerness, but you make a large inaccurate assumption in your post that tells me you don’t quite understand how the NACA process works. Your question, “like can’t it be passed on to another counselor to resubmit it to underwriting” makes the assumption that there are other counselors with a smaller workload and are available to have random files passed to them for review. Unfortunately, that assumption couldn’t be much further from the reality of things.

The demand for the NACA program is huge and every counselor carries a large number of files to work on at any given time. As such time becomes an extremely valuable commodity and virtually every minute of every day has to be planned out in advance and accounted for. That time blocked out for you on April 20th will dedicated to your file only, just as it is for each of our members during their scheduled appointments.

This is one of the reasons we emphasize that you be not just ready, but over-prepared for your appointment. The time set aside for you is simply too valuable to waste.

Nobody has ever said the homebuying process is easy, nor have we ever state that the NACA process is fast or easy. It takes time and effort, patience and persistence on your part. In reality, that’s how it SHOULD be. This is the biggest single financial transaction of your life and will touch nearly every facet of your life for decades to come. It’s too important to be fast or easy, and there are parts of it that are NOT exciting.

Then thing to do is “keep your eyes on the prize”. The process always has a few bumps in the road and never goes exactly how you want or think it should go. So just stay focused on the final destination and keep working with your counselor. You’ll get there and will appreciate it that much more when you do.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

9. Ms Tawana
    Posted April 13, 2020 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

I received an email and confirming an appointment scheduled for tomorrow. I’ve tried to contact my counselor by email and left messages to no avail. My appointment is in the North Miami office. The message confirmed the address and time and provided no info on virtual options. Is this office conducting face to face appointments?

• Posted April 15, 2020 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Hello Ms. Tawana,

All appointments are being conducted online via videoconferencing until further notice. The message you received was most likely just an automated reminder. You should have also received a separate email with specific instruction on how to to link to the meeting website. If not, a call to the office should get you the information you need.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

10. Akeem Latty
    Posted April 14, 2020 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

I just attended the first workshop on Saturday. I uploaded all of the requested documents, such as my bank statements. However, I can’t submit them. I have not been assigned to a counselor yet. I have been trying to call the Newark office all day @ 973-679-2601. It either rings out or I get a busy signal. Can I please get some assistance.

• Posted April 15, 2020 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Hello Akeem Latty,

Please contact NACA Member Services at 425-602-6222 for assistance. Be aware that they are experiencing long wait times because of the huge spike in calls due to the COVID-19 situation, but hang in there and they will help you figure out what is going wrong.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

11. Michael D Albert Sr
    Posted April 20, 2020 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Aloha,
    What is the current situation concerning the NACA Honolulu Office?
    We were informed they were temporarily closed. Please advise.

Mahalo,
    Michael Albert

• Posted April 21, 2020 at 9:27 am | Permalink

Aloha Michael,

The local NACA office in Honolulu is temporarily closed, but you can still work with the NACA program through our webinars and Remote Counseling program. If you have not begun the program, please go to http://www.naca.com and click on the “Schedule” button to register for a Home Buyer’s Workshop. This will give you the information you will need to get started and is also the required first step in the process.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

12. omini clark
    Posted May 5, 2020 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Hello,
    Is the Michigan office currently open?

• Posted May 6, 2020 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Hello omini clark,

Most of the Detroit staff are working from home for the time being and calls are rolling over to NACA Member Services. However, all currently scheduled appointments are being held as scheduled via videoconference.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

13. Deep
    Posted May 10, 2020 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Hi,

It seems Philly office is currently closed. Are there any arrangements for Philly office staff to work from home?
    I emailed my MC multiple times but have not heard back from him. I have a closing in July and want to finalize my loan process before July.

• Posted May 11, 2020 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Hello Deep,

While many of our staff members are working from home, all but a few NACA offices are still operating although physically closed to the public and only accessible to staff members. For help in reaching your counselor, you may call NACA Member Services at 425-602-6222.

Perhaps a better alternative though is participating in our fully online American Dream Event starting this Thursday This will provide you with a video appointment with a NACA counselor to review your file and, if it is ready, submit it to underwriting for qualification. You may register for the event at https://www.nacalynx.com/naca/webfile/member/event/eventType.aspx?txtEvent=AZ.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

• Deep
        Posted May 11, 2020 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Hi Tim,

I am already NACA qualified in November, 2019.
        Before office closed, my MC asked for few documents. I recently emailed those documents but have not heard back from my MC.
        Is American Dream Event still a good platform to reach out to my MC?

14. carol
    Posted May 24, 2020 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

my husband and i are in the processof naca since november. we were missing a couple of things and now we are having the dream event in June. i’m still working and receiving my regular check my husband is now lay off due to cov 19 but will return back to work as soon as the government gives the ok which hopefully will be sometime in June .He is presently collecting his weekly unemployment and has a letter stating that he is stopped from
    work due to cov19 but that he will return back to work and has a safe stable job. will this affect my process of qualification when i attend the Dream event in a couple of weeks ?

• Posted May 26, 2020 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Hello carol,

Based on what your have written, you should be okay. Your husband has exactly what is needed to prevent this from what otherwise would be considered a break in employment, verifying that he is receiving unemployment and having the letter guaranteeing he will return to his same job will allow us to bypass the 30-day gap rule that would otherwise cause your a 12-month delay in qualification. You may need to wait until he is actually back to work before you can be qualified, but next month is definitely better than having to wait an entire year.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Follow us on Facebook RSS Feed Follow us on Twitter