NACA’s First “Achieve the Dream” Event

*****MEDIA ADVISORY*****
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press Release – February 5, 2018

Tim Trumble, Media Coordinator, Cell: 617-947-2632; ttrumble@naca.com
Bruce Marks, NACA CEO, Cell: 617-835-4477; bmarks@naca.com

NACA BEGINS “ACHIEVE THE DREAM” TOUR

Announcement of Historic Homeownership Events Providing the Best Mortgage in America to Low and Moderate Income Borrowers

(February 5, 2018– Charlotte, NC) – On Tuesday February 6th at 11:00 a.m. at 600 East Fourth Street room 267, a press conference led by Mayor Vi Alexander Lyles, NACA’s CEO Bruce Marks, Bank of America representatives and Charlotte City Council members will announce the launch of NACA’s “Achieve the Dream” homeownership tour. This nationwide tour is to become the most important homeownership initiative in recent history. Low and moderate-income borrowers will have the unprecedented opportunity to obtain NACA’s Best in America mortgage (No Down Payment, and No Closing Costs, and at a Below Market Fixed Rate).

This extraordinary event begins Thursday, February 8th through Sunday, February 11th at 5835 Executive Center Drive, Charlotte, NC 28212, in the Charlotte East Business Park. Doors will be open from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. each day. Everyone who attends will work with a NACA counselor to be approved for the NACA Mortgage they can afford. NACA’s free of charge counseling is HUD certified and one of the nation’s largest counseling programs. NACA will also assist struggling homeowners at the event through its nationally acclaimed Home Save Program where over 250,000 homeowners obtained an affordable mortgage.

NACA has $13 Billion committed to the NACA Mortgage and more than 60,000 homes have been purchased through NACA’s 47 offices, including Charlotte. Everyone approved receives the same terms including the below market fixed interest rate without consideration of their credit score or other factors.

“This historic Achieve the Dream tour will provide one stop homeownership events where over four days one can be approved for the NACA Mortgage. NACA will continue these events with more than twenty events planned through 2018 providing unprecedented affordable homeownership opportunities to tens of thousands of working people nationwide” states Bruce Marks, NACA founder and CEO. “It is appropriate that the tour begins in Charlotte where Bank of America, NACA’s biggest partner is headquartered, and where NACA has strong support from the city”.

In support of the upcoming event, Mayor Lyles states, “The goal of owning a home is something we aspire to and build toward for everyone in our city. I welcome this partnership with NACA. The city of Charlotte will make grants to homebuyers to supplement the NACA Mortgage, making homeownership a reality for more Charlotteans.”

NACA’s Mortgage is the best in America in that it contains terms that are truly extraordinary including no down payment, no closing costs (lender paid), no fees, no PMI, no credit score consideration, a below market fixed interest rate, interest rate buy-down, renovation funds and many other extremely favorable terms.

For documents needed and to register, go to www.naca.com or call 281-968-6222. Walk-ins are welcome.

NACA’s Home Save and Purchase programs have been highlighted on the national and local news as the most effective in providing affordable homeownership:

● New York Times: The Homebuyer’s Champion
● CNN: One man’s fight against Foreclosures

About NACA (www.naca.com):
NACA, Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America, is one of the largest HUD certified non-profit counseling agencies with more than two million members. NACA is the largest and most effective organization in modifying mortgages, provides the best mortgage in the country, and is a tireless advocate for the rights of working people. NACA’s founder and CEO Bruce Marks is a nationally recognized leader in fighting for economic justice and has testified in Congress on numerous occasions. Marks was one of the first national leaders to sound the alarm in Congress of the pending mortgage crisis in 2000. For more information go to www.naca.com.

This entry was posted in NACA Purchase Program, NACA Technology, Save the Dream, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

23 Comments

1. Pamela Weathers
    Posted February 14, 2018 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

I am so glad I made the decision to attend the NACA’s first streamlined one-stop workshop. I took all the documents they asked me to bring, scanned them in to the system, sat with a counselor(hats off to Jose) and was approved for a mortgage. Can you believe, there are no closing costs. It is 100% paid by the lender. They will also provide budget and credit counseling if you desire. I left with a heightened sense of pride which gives me a reason to fight to stay grounded in this life. Thank you Mr. Marks, Mr. Clarke, Jose, and all of the other NACA staff and volunteers.

• Posted February 15, 2018 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Hello Pamela Weathers,

Congratulations!
      We are thrilled to have been able to get your NACA Qualified at our first Achieve the Dream Event! Your accomplishment is exactly what the event is designed to do: Get hundreds of people qualified for the NACA mortgage over the course or the four-day event, instead of what can be weeks or even months in some cases.

We are seeing an amazing number of people go from workshop through counseling, underwriting and approval in a single day through the event, and the same is happening as we conclude the first day of the Miami Achieve the Dream Event.

Thank you for showing just what can happen at our Achieve the Dream Events, and again, CONGRATULATIONS!

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

• Mary
      Posted September 12, 2018 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Hello Pam,

Congratulations on your pre-approval!. With your pre-approval, have you been able to secure a home? Were there many steps after the pre-approval process? Although I know all experiences and people are different, I love hearing of personal experiences as I’m about to start the process. Thank you.

2. jcleus200
    Posted April 23, 2018 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Questions?

If I already started the process with Naca , can I attend an Dream event. The reason I am asking is I have everything already uploaded on my web file from my MC perspective I was ready to be qualified this month , all he had to do is verify all my documents on the appointments on April 19th which he canceled and now rescheduled me all they way to July 23rd. Our goal was to get me qualified by April and buy the house by June/July. I always work to stay ahead the MC with all my documents but sometimes the webfile doesn’t work and I make sure I bring all documents with me. For me I did not really need another appointment to check my documents all he has to to do is checking them and if he needs something additional to let me know to send it. I already have all required documents, it hurts me to to wait almost 4 months just to verify documents before you sent them to underwriter, After my first workshop in August I waited 5 months to get my first intake. I know a dream event supposed to be held in Atlanta and I don’t know when that is the reason I am asking this.

• Posted April 23, 2018 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Hello jcleus200,

You are absolutely welcome to attend an Achieve the Dream Event.The dates have not been confirmed yet for an Atlanta event, but we anticipate mid to late June. Please continue to monitor our website and social media for updates as they become available.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

3. Susan Roberts
    Posted May 6, 2018 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

WOW! I got an e-vite to the last one, but it was too far from me to go and I just now got another one for the one in NJ ….definitely too far to go! Are you planning on having any for us here in Western Mass? I live close to Springfield and I have not yet seen any Dream Events close to me. I have been with NACA for a while, did the workshop and I am waiting for my appt, which is months away. 🙁
    I really hope there will be one closer to me…..promise you…..I’d be the first one there!

• Posted May 7, 2018 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Hello Susan Roberts,

At this point in time, we do not have an Achieve the Dream Event planned for your immediate area. However, we are still selecting dates and locations for the events, so please keep an eye on our website at http://www.naca.com for updates.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

4. Mary
    Posted September 1, 2018 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Hello,

I have not attended a workshop but plan to attend the Atlanta dream event. I recently also signed up for a workshop on 9/16. Can I attend the event before completing the workshop? And, is there a income maximum on NACA approval? Once approved, how long is the approval good for (90 days, 120 days). With the dream event, if approved, does the process move faster? I would like to buy and close by December. Thank you.

• Posted September 4, 2018 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Hello Mary,

You should definitely attend the Achieve the Dream event in Atlanta.

The workshop is actually conducted as the first step when you attend the event. There are no income limits high or low with the NACA program. While you will have to maintain documents in your NACA file such as paystubs, banks statements and tax returns, the approval is effectively good for a year.

The entire idea behind the Achieve the Dream events is to take the first four steps fo the NACA process (workshop, document submission, counseling and underwriting review/approval) and bring them all together in one place to dramatically condense the tiemline. The four steps can normally take weeks and even months to complete, but the structure of the event is such that we can get many people approved in a single day.

Even so, I have to caution you a bit on having a hard timeline for completing the process. One of the most commonly made mistakes is setting an absolute timeline on the process. Because NACA is a character based lending program the time frame needed to complete the process is different for everyone. Having a target date is fine, just don’t lock yourself into a date that could very easily work against you in the end. Just make sure to be flexible. Based on the “average”, you should have probably started about three months ago. However, the condensed timeline created by the Achieve the Dream event will hopefully overcome that.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

• Karen Backus
        Posted September 12, 2018 at 12:31 am | Permalink

I, too, am attending the Dream event in ATL this weekend. Our lease expires at the end of December so this expedited process is our only hope to end the renting cycle.
        Is there anything we can do in advance, besides gathering the list of documents, to help move the process along (character, payment references, etc.)? We would be considered non priority members based on income.
        Also, if the area where we’d like to live (keeping our children in their schools) is classified as middle income for the tract income level but the tract median income level is less than 100%, would a house in that tract be eligle for purchase?

• Posted September 12, 2018 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Hello Karen Backus,

As I noted in my response to Ash, take the approach of deliberately being overprepared. Another thing you can do is pull your credit report and review it to see if there are any issues that will need to be taken care of. You are entitled to one free pull of your credit report each year under federal law by going to the website http://www.annualcreditreport.com.

Any Census Tract with a median income less than 100% of the median for the MSA is considered a targeted area. the labels of low, moderate and middle income are just convenient labels to group certain income levels. It’s the median income of the Census Tract relative to that of the MSA that matters.

Tim Trumble
          Online Operations, NACA
          ttrumble@naca.com

5. Oneka
    Posted September 13, 2018 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

I actually just saw this Achieve the Dream Event. I registered for a homebuyer workshop tomorrow 09/13. Will it not be a workshop anymore? I don’t have all the necessary paperwork to participate in the achieve the dream event so just wondering if the typical workshops will still be going on?

• Posted September 14, 2018 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Hello Oneka,

Of course we will continue to have the regular workshops. The Achieve the Dream events are an opportunity to get a large number of people through the qualification process in a very short period of time to help relieve the burden on our local counselors.

You don’t specify what it is you believe you are lacking to continue the process, but I suggest you bring what you have and get it into the system. You can speak whit a counselor who can review what you have and give you specific instructions on how to proceed.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

6. Amorita Johnson
    Posted October 22, 2018 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Where will the next Achieve the Dream Tour begin? I signed up for the Workshop and driving 8 hours because all of the ones nearby were full. If there is an upcoming Achieve the Dream in any area I would definitely like to attend. Is there another one coming up? I would travel the distance to make it!

• Posted October 22, 2018 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Hello Amorita Johnson,

We are presently getting ready for our Achieve the Dream event in Chicago, which opens this Thursday, October 25th and runs through Sunday the 28th. After that, the final event for the year will be in Philadelphia November 29th through December 2nd. Events for 2019 have not yet been announced, but they will be posted on the hoem page at http://www.naca.com as soon as the information is available.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

• Amorita Johnson
        Posted October 22, 2018 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate your help. I live in California- so looks like I will be planning a trip!

• Amorita Johnson
      Posted October 22, 2018 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Do you have to pre-register to attend the event in Philadelphia? Please advise.

• Posted October 23, 2018 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Hello Amoita Johnson,

If you are going to be starting the process from scratch and attending te workshop, we ask that you you register in advance. This allows us to maintain some control over the number of people attending any one workshop.

If you have already been to a workshop and have your NACA ID number, you do not need to register and may simply show up at the event.

Please make sure to bring all your documents with you in any case, especially if you are going to make such a long trip. Go to the trouble of being very over-prepared. It will pay off for you!

Tim Trumble
        Online Operations, NACA
        ttrumble@naca.com

7. Teresa
    Posted October 28, 2018 at 6:42 am | Permalink

Hello,

I have a question about the upcoming achieve the dream being held in Philadelphia in November. I’ve been a member since April of this year and I’m thinking about attending the event. However, this time around I plan on buying a house with my boyfriend who is not a member. He lives alone in his own house and I live at home. He hasn’t had the best rental history in the past year (Late payments) and its been really hard for him to save money. I wanted to know what documents other than the ones listed would he need for us to qualify or if it’s even worth the trip. I really want us to buy together. If this isn’t possible and I could get qualified on my own, would he then be able to get added to the mortgage? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Posted October 28, 2018 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Hello Teresa,

I’m afraid that based upon what you have written, you are going to have a delay to deal with. You cannot add your boyfriend to the mortgage after the fact, and the financial situation you describe will likely prevent your qualification for a while.

First, your boyfriend MUST be a NACA member and a co-applicant in your file for him to be on the loan with you. Also, the NACA program requires that all adults over 18 who will be living in the household provide their financial information even if they are not going to be named on the loan. If he has late rent (or other) payments within the past 12 months, you will have to wait until he has created a 12-month on time payment history.

You may want to still come to the event, since the counselor you speak with can review the situation and advise you on what exactly he will need to do to become qualified along with you. That way you won’t be guessing and possibly dealing with an unexpected disappointment later on.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

8. Sheila
    Posted November 14, 2018 at 5:16 am | Permalink

Is the Achieve Event still being held in Memphis, TN this weekend or is just a purchasing workshop?

• Posted November 14, 2018 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Hello Sheila,

Unfortunately, we were required to postpone the Achieve the Dream event in Memphis for logistical reasons. We hope to reschedule it for early in 2019. We are conducting a regular Home Buyer Workshop at Brown Missionary Baptist Church on State Line Road this Saturday at 10:00 a.m.

Tim Trumble
      Online Operations, NACA
      ttrumble@naca.com

9. Chidinma
    Posted November 14, 2018 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

Can you explain what happens after you get preapproved at the event? Does this mean you are good to start shopping for a home

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow us on Facebook RSS Feed Follow us on Twitter