NACA is seeking 15 to 20 students and others to serve as intern-activists for our groundbreaking Student Debt Advocacy Summer initiative.
NACA is again at the forefront of the fight for Economic Justice in the United States, this time bringing its trademark non-violent activism to the student debt crisis that has crippled millennials and others as they seek to become productive members of society while also hindering America’s economic recovery.
Accepted candidates will spend the summer working in NACA’s National Headquarters in Boston, spearheading the organizing of students and others across the country to take on the unaffordable student debt issue.
Plans for the Student Debt Advocacy Summer include the organization of a Student Debt Strike in which those with massive student debt will withhold paying their student loans for one month to send a message to the politicians across the country protesting the more than $60 BILLION in profits the government is making as it finances more than 90% of the nation’s student loans.
Among the key points of the Summer Student Debt Initiative:
- Quality education should not be denied to deserving young people because of cost. However, many cannot presently receive the quality education they need to go into the career they desire unless they go into huge amounts of personal debt and entering into what is effectively a new form of indentured servitude.
- Inclusion of student debt in bankruptcy proceedings. Currently, student loans cannot be dismissed in bankruptcy. Bankruptcy judges should have the discretion of dismissing student debt in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy or including it in a Chapter 13 payment plan if they deem it appropriate.
- Government should stop looking at students as a profit center. Instead student assistance programs should be viewed as an investment in our nation’s future.
- Government regulators need to shut down for-profit schools that provide no genuine educational benefit and exist only for the purpose of generating revenue for themselves.
Current student debt in the United States totals more than $1.1 TRILLION, half of which has been acquired in just the past five years. This massive debt amount has created a generation of “boomerang” students who return to their parents’ home after graduation because they are unable to afford to buy a home, buy a decent car or generally become fully participating members of the American economy. In many cases, this debt load is even preventing young people from marrying and starting families.
NACA is seeking the best and the brightest for this history-making Student Debt Advocacy Summer project and will only accept those who have a true passion, a “fire in the belly” for this cause.
- Attention to Detail
- Top Communication Skills
- Able to Motivate and Lead Others
As a part of NACA’s Student Debt Advocacy Summer, you will be in the vanguard of taking on this huge issue and its widespread effect on millions of individuals as well as the nation’s economy. This is not a partisan political issue. Rather, it is about each person having the opportunity to be successful through their own merit.
NACA has fought for homeowners for 27 years through its relentless advocacy. NACA’s history includes changes to the Taft-Hartley Act, creation of innovative mortgage lending programs to benefit low and moderate income homebuyers and saving more than a quarter million homes from foreclosure since the burst of the housing bubble.
Applicants should send a resume and a letter detailing why they are passionate about this issue and want to be a part of NACA’s Student Debt Advocacy Summer. Send the resume and letter via email to email@example.com for consideration.
This is an outstanding opportunity to become a part of NACA as it prepares to make history again, expanding its fight for Economic Justice through the Student Debt Advocacy Summer initiative.